Wednesday 26 December 2007

English Trifle

There are a million different ways to make English trifle, and I'm sure everyone I ask will say, "No, no, this is the proper way of making it!" and tell me my way is wrong. It's just one of those personal tradition things. But this is how I make trifle.

(For my American readers: the "jelly" I refer to would be your Jello.)

First of all, line your dish with trifle sponges. You can also use sponge cake or whatever plain white cake takes your fancy (I have, in an emergency, used Madeira cake in the past.) But I usually use trifle sponges or white sponge cake.



Make up your raspberry jelly, but don't add as much water as indicated. You want the raspberry taste a bit stronger and the jelly less watery. Pour the jelly over the sponge and leave it to soak in and set in the fridge.



Once the jelly has set, chuck in some canned peaches - I also added some canned cruit cocktail here.



Follow with a layer of vanilla custard. Feel free to make the custard from scratch - I use it out of the carton.



Top with whipped cream and sprinkle on some grated chocolate. When I make whipped cream I always add a little icing sugar and vanilla essence - I think it's called Chantilly cream? Anyway, it is delicious.



See the lovely, colourful, messy layers.



Mmm, cream and chocolate ...

1 comment:

Saya said...

That looks so delicious!! I have to try this. thanks for the recipe.